Student Services

Can International Students work while attending school in the U.S.?
According to U.S. law, on-campus employment is the only legal employment for international students. Students may be able to work up to 20 hours per week while school is in session if there are any openings.
Can I check my grade online?
Yes. Request your username and password from the Student Services office for Student Portal access.
Can International Students study part time?
No, international students cannot study part time. U.S. immigration law requires that all international students on F1 student visas maintain full-time enrollment. To be considered full time, undergraduate students must be registered for a minimum of 12 and maximum 24 quarter units. Graduate students must be registered for a minimum of 8 and maximum 24 quarter units to be considered full time. Doctoral students in dissertation research courses are considered full-time.
When can I take a vacation?
International students in degree programs and ESL (non-degree) course of study are eligible for one (1) quarter break after three (3) consecutive quarters per year. Exception for Accounting Certificate (non-degree) program students are required five (5) consecutive sessions per year in order to be eligible for one (1) session break.
Do I have to attend Student Orientation?
Yes, Student Orientation helps students with their transition to the PSU, and all newly admitted students are required to attend at the beginning of each academic term.
How to maintain International Student status?

To maintain legal F-1 student status at PSU, you are required to:

  • Maintain full-time enrollment and earn a passing grade in all your courses.
  • Maintain a minimum of 70% attendance rate for classes.
  • Register on time for your classes.
  • Conform to regulations for travel outside of the U.S. and keep your passport valid all the time.
  • Accept no off-campus employment without written permission from the Department of Homeland Security; work no more than twenty hours per week on campus while attending school on a full-time basis.
  • Follow school policies and procedures.

Admissions for International Student

How does the PSU define an International Student?
If you are not a United States national, and you will be entering, or have already entered, the United States with an F-1 student visa, you should apply as an international student. Permanent residents of the United States, naturalized U.S. citizens, and U.S. citizens residing abroad and attending school outside the United States are not considered international students.
What should I do to get a student visa?

Most international students attending PSU hold student (F-1) visas. After you are admitted to PSU you will receive an Acceptance letter and a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 Form). In order to obtain a student visa, present the Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 Form) to a United States Embassy or Consulate. The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement offers more information about obtaining a student visa.

What is the SEVIS fee and how to pay?

Starting on October 27, 2008, the US Department of Homeland Security implemented a new $200.00 fee for all F-1 students. The aim of the fee is to maintain, update and fund the SEVIS System. All new applicants applying for F-1 Status for the first time must pay the SEVIS fee and provide proof of the payment to the US Consulate or Embassy for the Visa interview. There are different methods you can use to pay for the SEVIS fee. For more information about the SEVIS Program, visit the following website:

When should I apply for an F-1 visa interview?
It is important to apply for your F-1 visa as far in advance as possible. Many consulates recommend that appointments be made no more than 90 days from the intended date of travel, but some can make earlier arrangements for interviews.
Do you accept the application by e-mail?

No. We do not accept applications by e-mail. You need to mail your application and all supporting documents to our mailing address:

Pacific States University
Admissions Department
3424 Wilshire Blvd, Fl. 12
Los Angeles, CA 90010
Toll Free: (888) 200-0383
Phone: (323) 731-2383
Fax: (323) 731-7276

What does the quarter system mean?

Quarters are shorter academic units than semesters, and allow a school to offer four different sessions of classes per year. PSU holds classes in Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer quarters each year.

Quarter First week of the month
Winter January
Spring April
Summer July
Fall October

Each quarter is eleven (11) weeks in length. In general, one quarter unit is equal to 11 contact hours of lecture, 22 contact hours of laboratory work, or 22 contact hours of field-based activities. Courses usually carry four (4) units of credits.The dates below are intended to provide a general overview of the timing of the admissions cycle. Many of these dates are estimates and will vary from year to year. Please only use this as a general guide and students should consult the admissions officer for specific dates.

Can I defer my offer of admission?

Yes. PSU admits students for a specific term. If you wish to enroll for a term later than that for which you are admitted, you must request for deferment by emailing admissions@psuca.eduand pay a fee of $20. The deferment request must be within one month of the initial program start date, unless you need to reapply and pay all fees associated with admission.

At PSU, are International Students required to take the SAT or ACT?
No, international students are not required to take the SAT or ACT, but it is recommended, if available.
Is TOEFL/IELTS required for students who have earned a U.S. high school degree or higher?
No, PSU does not require the TOEFL/IELTS score for students who have earned a U.S high school degree or higher.
How long is a TOEFL/IELTS score valid?
The TOEFL/IELTS score is valid for two years.
What is your TOEFL institutional code?
Pacific States University’s institutional TOEFL code is 4625.
Can International Students apply for an undergraduate/ graduate double major?
Yes, international students can apply for an undergraduate/graduate double major. Students seeking a double major in undergraduate programs must take a minimum of fifty-two (52) additional units or (13) courses; while in graduate programs must take a minimum of twenty-eight (28) additional units or (7) courses.
I have submitted my application to PSU. What happens next?
Once we receive your materials, we will send you an e-mail to confirm the receipt of your application. We will also send you an e-mail regarding the missing documents and the status of your application. Application processing time is approximately three to four (3-4) weeks after all required documents are received. If admitted, an acceptance letter and a certificate of eligibility (I-20 Form) will be mailed to you.
Are International Students required to pay an advance tuition deposit?

No, international students are not required to pay an advance tuition deposit. You must notify the Office of Admissions of your decision to attend by emailing or calling 1 (323) 723-2383.

Can International Students apply for PSU scholarships?
Yes. PSU offers scholarships for international students.
What should I do to transfer to PSU from another institution?
To transfer to study at PSU from another institution, you must have a valid I-20 and be attending a college or university in the United States or using OPT. You have to submit the application and other requirements to PSU. After you are admitted, you will receive an acceptance letter and transfer form from the PSU Admissions office. Your SEVIS record must be released from your former school to PSU. If you have specific questions about student visa, you can contact the SEVIS coordinator at the PSU Admissions Office.
What services does the U.S. government offer to International Students?

Check with the Bureau of Education and Cultural Affairs for services available for international students.

Do I have to report my visa application process and arrival to PSU?
Yes. You need to keep us updated about your visa application process whether your visa application is approved or denied. If you receive the visa approval, you need to email a copy of your F-1 visa to If your visa application is denied, you need to inform us immediately. Also, please inform PSU when (day and time) you are planning to arrive in the U.S. once you get the flight ticket. It is very important to report your arrival to PSU. You must report to Pacific States University within seven (7) days after arriving in the U.S. otherwise your I-20 will be void.
When should I arrive in the United States?

United States Department of Homeland Security regulations specify that students with a F-1 visa may enter the United States no earlier than 30 days prior to the beginning of the university semester, as noted on your I-20. It is advisable to give yourself enough time to find a place to live and settle in before starting class. You should have completed check-in at the Admissions Office, found permanent housing and registered for classes before the final day of class registration.

What should I do if I am arriving in the U.S. after my program start date?
If you will arrive in the U.S. later than the program start date by a few days or cannot enter the U.S. for the term listed on your I-20 form, you must contact the PSU Admissions Office immediately.
What should I bring to a U.S. airport and to a U.S. Port of Entry?
  • Original SEVIS I-20 form (all 3 pages)
  • Acceptance letter
  • F-1 student visa stamp in passport
  • Valid passport
  • Financial documents consistent with I-20
What should I provide to PSU after I arrive in the U.S.?
    • U.S. port of entry stamp in I-20.
    • I-20 of dependents if you have any dependents travelling with you.
    • F-1 student visa stamp in passport.
    • I-94 (retrieve your electronic I-94 record at
    • Mailing/local address and contact phone number in the U.S.
    • Cash / Money Order / Credit Cards / Checks for paying tuition at registration.